When does support for Windows 7 end?
Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 on January 14, 2020.
Why is Microsoft ending support for Windows 7?
Windows 10 delivers a better experience for students and teachers and is easier for IT managers to deploy, manage and secure than Windows 7. Microsoft is committed to providing products with improved security. Although we strive to remove vulnerabilities during development, older products may not meet today’s more demanding security requirements and Microsoft is unable to provide security updates for older products.
What does end of support mean?
After January 14, 2020, a PC running Windows 7 will still start and run, but it will no longer receive security updates. In addition, Microsoft customer service will no longer be available to provide Windows 7 technical support. With Windows 10, your devices will continue to receive the latest security updates to help keep you and your data safer.
What happens if I continue to use Windows 7?
You can continue to use Windows 7, but after support has ended, your PC will become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Windows will continue to start and run, but you will no longer receive software updates, including security updates, from Microsoft.
Can I upgrade my existing Windows 7 PC to Windows 10?
Can Windows 7 still be activated after January 14, 2020?
Windows 7 can still be installed and activated after end of support; however, it will be more vulnerable to security risks and viruses due to the lack of security updates. After January 14, 2020, Microsoft strongly recommends that you use Windows 10 instead of Windows 7.
What should I do if I am still running Windows 7?
For most Windows 7 users, moving to a new device with Windows 10 will be the recommended path forward. Today’s PCs are faster and lightweight, yet powerful and more secure, with an average price that’s considerably less than that of the average PC when Windows 7 was introduced in 2009. Our guide can help you choose a new PC. You can also upgrade compatible Windows 7 PCs based on these requirements with a full license, but we recommend moving to a new PC with Windows 10 to take advantage of the latest hardware capabilities.
Can I upgrade to Windows 10 for free?
The Windows 10 free upgrade through the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app ended on July 29, 2016. However, schools with certain volume license agreements may be eligible to upgrade to Windows 10 for no additional cost. Please contact sales for more information.
How much does it cost to upgrade to Windows 10?
For schools with volume license agreements such as Microsoft 365 A3 or A5, a license for Windows 10 is included for all of your devices. Schools with Microsoft 365 A1 are licensed to upgrade the edition of Windows 7 to the same edition of Windows 10. The actual cost will depend on the volume and level of licensing, ranging from no additional cost up to about $55 per device for a new Open licensing agreement. New devices for schools start at $199 and include Windows 10. Please contact sales for more information.
How can I upgrade our existing PCs to Windows 10?
To take advantage of the latest hardware capabilities, we recommend moving to new PCs with Windows 10. As an alternative, compatible Windows 7 PCs can be upgraded by purchasing licenses and installing a full version of the software. Once you have the appropriate license for Windows 10, there are many available options to upgrading the operating system. Please visit https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/desktop-deployment-center-home for options and instructions.
How can I find out if the apps we use will run on Windows 10?
To see if the apps you use will run on Windows 10, visit http://www.readyforwindows.com/.
How can I get help planning and deploying Windows 10 in my school?
Schools and districts with 1,000 or more PCs can be nominated by your reseller for a Modern Desktop Assessment service. If you have yet to move most of your devices to Windows 10, Microsoft will pay for a partner to spend 3 days with you to assess and plan your upgrade options. For more information, please contact your reseller and ask about a Modern Desktop Assessment.
What are the most important differences between Windows 7 and Windows 10 for a school?
Some of the key benefits of Windows 10 compared to Windows 7 for schools include:
- Better learning outcomes: Prepare students for the future by providing a platform for collaborating, exploring, personalized learning, and productivity.
- Security: Windows 10 is the most secure, robust, and flexible Windows ever for your students. With multiple layers of integrated security, this is the most secure Windows yet.
- Easy setup and management: Easily set up and deploy Windows 10 devices using Set up School PCs. Add Intune for Education (sold separately) to manage classroom devices and apps from a web console, so students and teachers can spend more time learning and connecting.
- Digital ink: Take notes, navigate, draw, doodle, and edit. Discover all the ways you can be productive and get creative with a digital pen.1
- Cortana: Free up time and your hands by talking to your computer2. Speak your mind and let your PC do the typing.
- Accessibility: Windows 10 includes built-in, meaningful innovation to help students of differing abilities to be independent, efficient, and engaged whether they are reading, creating, collaborating, or organizing their work.
- Microsoft Edge: Microsoft Edge is the fast, safe browser to get things done on the web. It has unique capabilities designed to help students and teachers stay focused and organized so they can accomplish more with less effort.
Isn’t Windows 10 very different from Windows 7 and I will need to retrain my staff and students?
Your students’ and teachers’ favorite features are even better in Windows 10. It’s what they loved about Windows 7 in a great package they already know how to use. Microsoft refreshed the general look and feel to help them be more efficient and productive. But don’t worry, it’s still just as easy to navigate. They still have plenty of ways to personalize their 1:1 PCs. Faster boot time, faster login, and more management options than Windows 7 make Windows 10 the better choice for shared devices.
Where can I find out more information about all of this?
Here are some resources to help you learn more:
- Windows 10 in Education:
- Modern Desktop Deployment Center:
- Deploying Windows 10 in a school:
- Windows 10 Editions for Education customers:
1Requires a touch-capable PC and the digital pen accessory may be sold separately; 2Hardware dependent.